I celebrated my birthday this weekend, so of course I had to have one of my favorite drinks–a jello shot! I started making these a few years ago, they have a lot more flavor than your average jello and vodka recipe. I’ve made these for parties with my friends, for Christmas with my family and for little get-togethers. These are mellow enough for older people to enjoy without it burning their throats. If I want something stronger, I add vodka to the recipe and voila, get drunk stay drunk.
One more thing, maraschino cherries are fabulous with these! They’re completely optional but do add a fancy touch.
These should be made in advance.
- 1 small jar maraschino cherries
- 1 1/2 cups vodka
1. Pour cherries with 1/2 of the juice into a bowl.
2. Add the vodka, stir, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Stir a few times.
3. Drop into jello shots right after your pour the jello in. I usually do one cherry for a 2 ounce shot, 2 for anything more
Cherry Amaretto Jello Shots
- 3 ounce package of Cherry Jell-o
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup amaretto
- 1/4 cup cold water or cold vodka if you like a stronger shot
- Boil 1 cup of water in a small saucepan
- Add jello, remove pan from heat and stir until dissolved
- Add amaretto and cold liquid and stir well
- Pour into your shot cups! Add your cherries and chill for two hours or until firm
The last time I made these I couldn’t find any 2 ounce cups so I used bigger cocktail cups. You can find the 2 ounce cups with lids at Walmart near the plastic cups. Gordon Food Service also has them.