I want to share my crockpot bread recipe with y’all! This is wonderful because no one wants to be in a hot kitchen all day when it’s hot outside. I do put mine in the oven for 15 minutes at the end but that’s just to brown and crisp the crust! It’s not necessary.
Depending on how much time I have, I use my Quick French Bread recipe or my no knead bread recipe to make the dough. The first one takes about an hour to make the dough, the second one takes 18-24 hours. Of course most of this time is so the bread can rise. Remember the longer your bread takes to rise, the better it will taste! Choose a recipe based on how soon you want to be eating your bread 🙂
- Sprinkle corn meal on the bottom of your crockpot OR lay a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of the crockpot. Both of these will prevent the bread from sticking as it cooks. I prefer cornmeal because it adds a very nice texture to the bottom of the crust, but to each his own
- Turn your crockpot on High
- Form your dough into a ball. I usually do this by squeezing it in half a few times, getting all the air bubbles out, and eventually putting the crease on the bottom when I plop it into the crockpot
- Put the lid on.
- Wait an hour. Use this time to make something delicious to eat your bread with or go tan outside or take a nap
- Check the bread. It won’t be done, but you’ll be able to see how much longer it needs. Mine has taken anywhere from 1 1/2-2 hours total. The bread will be done when you push on the top and it doesn’t spring back.
- Preheat your oven to 425 and pop the bread in. No pan is needed, but you can use one if you like. Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Enjoy! Instagram your creation! Be proud of yourself! Remember, wait as long as you can to cut into your bread. Cutting into it while it’s still pretty hot can cause the inside to be a little gummy. The steam inside continues the cooking process for a while after it’s out of the oven/crockpot. For best results, wait at least 45 minutes 🙂