Okay so I know it’s not fall. Yet I’m posting an apple crisp recipe (gasp). Apples are good any damn time of the year. I also feel less guilty for eating this since it has fruit and oatmeal in it, that’s a healthy breakfast right?
I didn’t have a pan at the time I was craving apple crisp so I used muffin tins instead. The results? Just as yummy apple crisp in individual sized portions.
- 6-8 apples, peeled cored and cut into 1-inch sized pieces. I use gala or honeycrisp apples, sometimes throw a few granny smith in there to keep things interesting
- 1 1/2 cups white flour, can substitute 1/2 cup of wheat flour if you’re feeling dangerous
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 4 tbsp softened butter or margarine
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon plus 1/2 tsp
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar plus 1 tbsp
1. Mix up your dry ingredients in a large bowl
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease your muffin tins
3. Toss apples with 1 tbsp of brown sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon
4.Evenly divide apples into each hole in a muffin tin. Mine made 6 large muffins, but I’ve also made this in a 12 smaller muffin tin.
5. Cut butter into dry ingredients then layer onto apples.
6. Bake for 30 mins or until apples are tender!
The bigger muffin pans might take a little longer to cook. I covered mine with tin foil for the first 20 mins and then uncovered them and baked for 15 mins more so the top of the crisp wouldn’t burn.