I discovered puppy chow in high school. Nine years later and I’ve finally perfected my recipe. See when I follow a recipe, usually the one on the box, it doesn’t turn out very well. A lot of the cereal pieces don’t get covered in chocolate and it’s just a crunchy, powdery mess. This recipe is crunchy, sweet and has the perfect blend of chocolate and peanut butter. Every piece gets well covered in chocolate and therefore well covered in powdered sugar. Enjoy! Let me know if you like it!
Perfect Puppy Chow
6 cups of corn or rice Chex cereal
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
2/3 cups of peanut butter
1/3 cup of butter
1 tsp vanilla
1. Measure cereal into a large bowl. Set aside
2. Measure powdered sugar into a big Ziplock bag. The bigger the better
3. Measure chocolate, peanut butter and butter into a microwave bowl. Use the melt button on your microwave for about a minute, stir, melt again for 30 secs if needed. Be careful not to burn the chocolate!
4. When mixture is all melted stir again. Add in vanilla. It’s important to add vanilla after you melt the chocolate, because it has a tendency to cook out of any mixture when heating, making it pointless to even add it.
5. Pour mixture over cereal. Using a big spoon or spatula mix together until all the cereal is covered.
6. Pour cereal into the bag. Zip. And shake! Break up the bigger chunks so the sugar can cover them.
Pour into a bowl and enjoy. You might want to hide it from people when you have company over because you’ll wind up making a lot more 🙂